cabling ? FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Bob Strickland posted 06 Nov 2003
 cabling ?
Dear sirs:
My question involves cabling a network. When would you use a cross-over patch cable in regards to a straight thru patch cable ?
I find it very confusing, is it determined by the type of cabling that was performed from the patch panel to the wall plate ?
If you ran a 568A or 568B from the wall plate to the workstation, would that constitute a crossover patch cable from the patch panel to the hub ?
If you could please clear this issue up for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 18 Nov 2003
Dear Bob ,

The only need for a cross-over cable is for connection between two hubs or directly between two PCs. Also, the hub connection needs a cross-over cable only if you are cascading using regular ports (ones you'd usually connect PCs to). Most hub/switch models nowadays have a special "uplink" port that you can make a cross-over with a simple touch of a button, or even auto-sensing!

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...