Home Networking

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Warren B posted 14 Aug 2003
 Home Networking
I want to connect my home network via a dial-up connection. Will I need an external modem?

How can I connect if I want to switch to cable later( use of cable modem)?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 27 Aug 2003
Dear Warren,

You could do it with an internal modem on one of your PCs and a gateway software running. However, the more convenient way (especially considering the future switch to a cable broadband connection), would be to get a router with a serial port onboard, that can be used with external modem to dial up to the ISP. In the future, you could use this setup as a fall-back for cable. Should it drop for any reason, the router would dial the ISP instead.

There are number of such routers on the market, some are designed specifically for the residential applications. Just look for the specs, make sure a serial port is available in addition to Ethernet for WAN connection.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...