Network connection FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by James Markley posted 23 Jul 2002
 Network connection
I need to connect a second building to my existing 10\100 Ethernet network. The buildings are less than one hundred feet apart. Would I be able to use Cat. 5 cable and a switch\hub to accomplish this? The new office space will only have about seven computers.
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 24 Jul 2002
Dear James,

You can use OSP CAT5(E) cable with data-rated protectors on both sides. Thus you'll be limited to 1Gbit/s backbone speed, but it looks like this is sufficient in this case.

These cables were described in little more details earlier:

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...