FC-AL crossover?

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by david rogers posted 08 Mar 2001
 FC-AL crossover?

I'm trying to direct connect a Sun server with a fiber gigabit interface to a Network Appliance file server with the same type of gigabit interface. Do I need a crossover cable? I had heard that these gigabit cards send and receive on every wire.. is that true?

Thank you,

David Rogers
 Answer by Roman Kitaev posted 09 Mar 2001
Hello, David!

If you connect two fiber gigabit interfaces (i think it's 1000Base-SX), you have to use fiber cross-over cord with the minimum length of 2 meters. The interface uses 2 fibers: one for transmit, other for receive.

It's the copper version of GbE that uses 4 pairs in 4-pair UTP cables, where each pair is used for transmit & receive.

Best regards
Roman Kitaev, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...