cabling FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Carlos Fyfield posted 23 Aug 2005
To whom it may concern,
I have two questions may you can help, the first is what industries recognized 8w,8p and what is 8w,8p. The second is what is the term RU means and it's measurement.
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 23 Aug 2005
Dear Carlos,

RU is actually a rack unit. It is 1.75" (44.5 mm). A 7' high rack normally has 45 RU available for components. A 48-port patch panel normally takes 2RU.
8W8P (8 wires-8pins) or, as I would rather put it 8P8C - eight pins - eight conductors - signifies a plug or jack that is usually referred to as RJ-45 (although 8P8C would be better designation)

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...