RCA to RG11

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Allen Cameron posted 07 Jul 2005
 RCA to RG11
I am trying to connect a music on hold device to our phone system. I am envisioning using a biscuit rg11 box and then stripping the rca to terminate on the 6 pin box. Which pair do I terminate o?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 08 Jul 2005
Dear Allen,

You may need more than just a pin-to-a-pin connection. All MOH devices I know of have RCA or 3.5 mm jack OUTPUTS, which normally corresponds to the phone system's 600 Ohm RCA INPUT. If you have a RJ11(or RJ45) INPUT, you may at the very least require a conversion between the different impedances or a specialized device. For example, Lucent (now Avaya) Merlin and Merlin Legend phone systems require a device (model KS-23395L3) to convert a 600 Ohm RCA into the system's RJ45 port. Depending on your system, you may need such device as well.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...