FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Clyde DePhillips posted 17 May 2005
I'd like to know what type interconnects would you use to route hybrid fiber optic cables originating in one campus building to three others. Are there splitters or hubs of sorts for fiber cables??

Thanks, Clyde
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 18 May 2005
Dear Clyde,

This a very broad question and the answer may depend on the number of fiber of each type in the hybrid and the intended use of the fiber.

As a general rule, I would use a fiber distribution panel with coupling panels. The fiber should be terminated with "standards" based connectors and interconnection is accomplished with patch cordage. This would allow easier re-allocation of fibers and proper identification of the fibers. If the fiber strand count is high, you may want to consider separate panels for the different fiber core sizes (SM, MM 50u, MM 62.5, etc.).

There are a number of products available from many manufacturers that accomplish this. Try searching for "Fiber Distribution panel" or otherwise referred to as "fiber patch panel" to see the many possibilities.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent