aireal wire FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by dan morales posted 27 Oct 2004
 aireal wire
looking for a cat5 or twisted pair with 18 or 16 gauge power wire with an aireal wire all in one bundle
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 27 Oct 2004
Dear Dan,

I am not aware of any cable design that mixes low-voltage and power cables in one bundle. However, if all you want is to power something like an IP-based surveillance camera outdoors, you may use the remaining two pairs of AWG24 to deliver up to 2A current to the device. You would obviously need to use outdoor-rated CAT5 cable for your purpose.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent