video cabling FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by derek enlander posted 26 Sep 2003
 video cabling
I want to attach my Sony 2000 camera with RCA output to a monitor 500 feet away Can I use CAT 5 cable , coax , triple video cable or what? do I need a booster to boost the signal for this length of cable
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 26 Sep 2003
Dear Derek,

Using a balun (balanced-unbalanced) adapter, you should be able to do 500' with color NTSC. Look for Avaya SYSTIMAX 380-series adapter or have your cabling supplier cross-reference that part with other manufacturer's part.

Non-balanced signal will not make it through 500' of CAT5, so avoid using direct connection adapters, such as Ortronics' IDC-to-RCA outlet inserts.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent