Phone wiring at home FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by James Dunn posted 11 Mar 2004
How do I connect a new phone at my house which is cat 5 wired to a conventional 4 wire line in my house?
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 12 Mar 2004
Dear James,


If your home was wired to standards you would need to connect the White/Blue pair to the incoming service. The incoming service should include a network interface device (NID) which should have the line marked as line 1 on the customer side of the interface access door. This may be marked with either Green & Red posts or id'ed as Line 1. If you have a 2nd line it would be on the Yellow-Black or Line 2. As residences are to wired to T568A standards, the 2nd line on the jack of your category 5e wiring would then be the White/Orange pair at the jack.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent