PCM 30 cable

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Daniel Roy posted 29 Jan 2004
 PCM 30 cable
What is the equivalent for an European PCM 30 cable in North America ?

It is a sheilded cable similar to CAT5

Would it be equivalent to Cat3, CAT5 or CAT5E cable?

Please confirm.

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated

Best Regards

Daniel Roy

 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 30 Jan 2004
Dear Daniel,

The equivalent to PCM 30 would be DS1. The cable is normally specified as shielded 2-pair with RJ48S on the ends: pair #1 goes on pins 4 and 5, pair #2 goes on 1 and 2. You can make a RJ48S from what is usually referred to as RJ45 jack/plug. BTW, check with your equipment’s manual if you need crossover or straight through cable. Crossover is simply pair #1 from one end goes to #2 on another and vice versa.

Used on numerous occasions unshielded cable at considerable distances with no problem, so you may give UTP version a thought.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...