Straight-through Cabling FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by yess posted 23 Jan 2004
I am trying to connect a couple of PCs to a hub via a wall plate using a 568A style RJ45 connector, should I use straight trus from hub to wall mount and wall mount to PC
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 25 Jan 2004
Dear yess,

You are correct. From a hub to a wall plate the wiring should be straight-through, meaning conductor #1 of the hub plug is connected to conductor #1 of the wall palte and so on. The only places for a cross-over is between two hubs (if no special switching uplink port provided) or between two PCs without hubs.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...