tap vs. splitter

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by marty hambel posted 16 Jan 2004
 tap vs. splitter
I want to run cable from my house to an outbuilding approx 300 feet away with 3 outlets. From my incomung cable, there is a tap to my cable modem, then a splitter to 4 rooms in the house. Can I use a 2-way splitter between the tap and the 4-way splitter, or do I need another tap. If so, what value? Thanks.
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 16 Jan 2004
Dear Marty,

It looks like you may want to use a (not too powerful) amplifier after the first splitter on the longer cable run. I think you may use a 2-way splitter after the cable modem tap to divide the signal into local and remote. Don't see why not.

Check out Smarthome's Website (click here) they have a nice selection of inexpensive CATV parts and provide tech support when (even before) you buy from them

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: 4 1 Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent