cabling FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by rob pratt posted 06 Jan 2004
hi, i am doing a course in networking, and you need to design the cabling, i am going to using 4 rooms with average of 16 workstation in them, which cabling would you use to connected them together, by using a switch
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 06 Jan 2004
Dear Rob,

That would normally be CAT5E cabling with (2) 48-port patch panels in a small cabinet in one of the rooms. The type of cable jacket (plenum or PVC) would depend on how the cable is distributed between the rooms: if it uses the space above the drop ceiling or below rised floor, then plenum. PVC if in enclosed pathways such as raceways.

Size your switch accordingly to the number of users and don't forget to bring power outlets for the UPS.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...