network FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by rodney holcomb posted 15 Sep 2003
i want to network 2 computers together and i have one cable modem how do i network them
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 15 Sep 2003
Dear Rodney,

The best way would be to purchase a device called "residential gateway" or "router". Most of them come with 4-port Ethernet switches on board, so, provided by your PCs have Ethernet network card, you will be able to connect them to the router. The cable modem gets connected to the router's "WAN" interface. For a better coverage of what's beyond just physical connections you have to make, visit . This guys have a great deal of detail of the subject.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent