Hubs and crossover cables FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Tim Buffaloe posted 18 Jun 2003
 Hubs and crossover cables
When linking more than one hub within a network do you use a crossover cable on the uplink or can you use a regular network cable?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 22 Jun 2003
Dear Tim,

Usually, you need to use a crossover cable. However, most recently manufactured devices (both hubs and switches) have specific uplink port, which you can turn from crossover to straight-through with just a push of a button. Locate that port on your hub, and, if it's available, plug a cord into it. Then, if the link light is not on, push the button and watch the link light appear. If it does not, then the problem is more than crossover vs. straight-through patch cable.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...