cables? FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by randall morris posted 06 Apr 2003
newbie at this!What patch cables go where?ie:from dsl modem to router,from router to computer?crossover or straight?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 09 Apr 2003
Dear Randall,

From DSL modem to router: usually crossover
From router/Switch to computer: always straight

Some (should I say most these days?) routers/switches have a little button that lets you simply switch between cross-over/straight. It's usually somewhere around the port labeled as "Uplink"

So, research on that little button, and maybe you can get away with all straight cords.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...