what cabling should i use

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by amy wite posted 12 Mar 2003
 what cabling should i use
which of the two cables would be the best for linking the componants in an office automation system its out of a coaxle cable and fibre optic and why is the best
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 13 Mar 2003
Dear Amy,

It's been a while since I last heard term "office automation". It was used to define such common office equipment as PCs and printers, faxes etc.
So, if this is what you use it for, then in "normal" office neither cable you've mentioned will be the best. The best for many reasons will be 4 twisted pair cable, Category 5E or Category 6. These types of cables give you most flexibility to connect devices that you can come across in a regular office. Even traditionally "coaxial" applications, such as CATV or CCTV, can be adapted to run over twisted pair.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...