rca/s-video over utp

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Thomas Horgan posted 09 Mar 2003
 rca/s-video over utp

I'm looking for an adapter to test s-video and rca 110 type jacks. The cable is cat 5e , how do I test tis? I will be long gone from the job by the time the equipment is installed.

The customer is looking for documented test results, can this be done.

Thank you for any answers or references.
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 10 Mar 2003
Dear Thomas,

There aren't field test adapters for testing S-video or RCA over CAT5E I know of. I mean, this will not be hard to solder together out of Radio Shack components, but I don't think a customer would trust that kind of testing, really.

The way we had to do it - simply by bringing equipment (VCR and small TV) with both s-video and RCA inputs/outputs and actually running a video/analog signal through. The customer's rep was present, so it did work out for us. See if you can manage something like that in your case.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...