cat v wiring FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Ryan Pendleton posted 24 Feb 2003
 cat v wiring
What i am trying to do is run a play station 2 entenet adapter from my cable modem. i do not have a router though. What i have done so far is wiried two jacks in 568a format from my office to the living room were the ps2 is and pluged the one patch cord from the modem to the jack then from the jack to the ps2. Still no workie. Do i need to get different patch cords? the patch cord that i have is wired br,wbr,g,wbl,b,wg,o,wo, (looking at it tab up) is this wrong?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 25 Feb 2003
Dear Ryan,

If you do not use router/switch, then you have to use ethernet cross-over cord, just like you would when connecting a PC. Use this page for the pinout or better yet, use the link on the page to buy a factory-made cord. This is what I always recommend because making your own cord requires specialized tools, skills and test equipment.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...