cat 5 cable/twisted pair FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by chris bender posted 29 Jun 2000
 cat 5 cable/twisted pair
I am working on the cabling in our server room and am confused about the cat 5 cable issue. i use cat 5 to go from the patch panel to the switch (i'm using switches instead of hubs). the switch has to be cabled to the other switch that is cabled to the router. do i use the same type of cat 5 cable to go from the switch to switch, or do i need to use a twisted pair cable? thank you.
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 30 Jun 2000
Dear Chris,

To decide whether to use crossover cord between
switches or not, you have to look at the switch (or its documentation).

If the device is equipped with so-called 'uplink' port, it means that it's crossed inside, so you need regular patch cord to connect to another switch. If there is no such a special port, use crossover cord.

And do not confuse crossover cord whith twisted pair cable. Crossover (as well as regular cord) is made of twisted copper pairs, but pairs 2 and 3 are crossed (see this page at our Website for pins layout).

With best regards,
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...