cctv and digital cable FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by shaun kennedy posted 22 Jul 2002
 cctv and digital cable
My house is wired for whole house distribution of digital cable. Now I want to insert a closed circuit camera feed into the system. I think I need a modulator and a filter. Is that it? What kind?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 24 Jul 2002
Dear Shaun,

I would suggest that you also need RG59 (with or without power pair, depending on your camera) cable run from the camera location to the central CATV splitter location in your house.

Alternatively, if you want to attach the camera to one of the room's CATV outlets, you may have to re-arrange connections on the splitter since this particular cable will have to be connected to the splitter's input as oppose to output.

You may also need an additional splitter/combiner depending on your modulator design.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...