cable length FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Jim Biederer posted 12 Jul 2002
 cable length
If I am running cables over 295 feet---say 400 feet, what would products would I use to insert and extend the signal if I cut the cables at 295? Also--if I have am repairing a cable that was cut too short--can I use a rj45 and a cat5 connector to extend the cable without much signal loss?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 24 Jul 2002
Dear Jim,

I believe BlackBox sells a box that does the trick for 10BASE-T connection. I don't have their catalog handy though, so you may probably want to check with their website. I think it's just simply called 'Ethernet extender' or something like that.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...