Patch Panel/Workstation Jack Pinouts FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by John Hamai posted 22 Nov 2001
 Patch Panel/Workstation Jack Pinouts
I am installing a small network into my home. I have run CAT5e from various points in my home to a single location in the basement. I have a patch panel and workstation jacks for each end of the cable. I do not know, however, how to "punch-down" each end. I would like to use the T568A standard and have labeling for either T568A or T568B wiring.
 Answer by Roman Kitaev posted 24 Nov 2001
Hello, John!

Use T568A wiring scheme because it's recommended by the TIA/EIA-570-A "Residential Cabling Standard"

Best regards,
Roman Kitaev, RCDD

Subscribe to the 'Home Cabling & Networking' Ezine

Get the "Residential Cabling Guide" and other e-books at

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...