Patch panel connect FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Darryl Whitelock posted 10 May 2001
 Patch panel connect
I have a CAT5 cable that has been punched down into the patch panel (568B config). The other end goes directly to a NIC/PC, instead of a walljack. What would the pinout config be for the connector going in to the NIC? Is it the same as the punchdown or would it have to be switched like a crossover cable?
Thanks for your help.
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 14 May 2001
Dear Darryl,

If you connect the patch panel end to a hub/switch, your NIC side should be crimped down with the same pin layout as you have for the patch panel - T568B in your case. Just for your reference, you can take the color code published at our site here:

Good luck with your installation!

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent