phone line adpater to network connection FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Tony Arredondo71.107.235.156 posted 26 Nov 2006
 phone line adpater to network connection
I bought an old work computer that has the network port (CAT5). Is this the same as a modem or PCMCIA card. I obviously can't just plug my phone line into the PC and get the Internet. Is there an adpater that lets you do this though?
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 27 Nov 2006
Dear Tony,

A network port is typically for connecting to an Ethernet type network. A modem is used for a dial-up connection such as to an internet or email service. A PCMICA card are normally used in laptop computers for additional services such as memory, serial ports, modems, wireless ethernet and many others.

Please write back with the type of PC and we should be able to help you further.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...