wall plate wiring for RJ45 jacks

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by John Rule65.100.140.162 posted 14 Nov 2006
 wall plate wiring for RJ45 jacks
I need to connect my computer to a printer in the next room. I have cate5e wire and RJ45 jacks. If I use T568A wiring scheme should both jacks be wired the same? IE Pin #1 white/green and Pin #8 brown on both jacks. Thanks for your help. John Rule
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 16 Nov 2006
Dear John,

I am not sure why you are using cat 5e cable for a printer unless it is net-workable and you are going to connect it via a hub. In any case cat 5e should be terminated using the same wiring scheme (T568A) at both ends. If a cross-over is needed, it should be done with a crossover patch cable.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...