token ring cables FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by CArl Smith posted 15 Feb 2001
 token ring cables
The RI and RO cable, are they crossover or special patch cords? Where can I get more information
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 19 Feb 2001
Dear Carl,

The RI and RO ports of a MAU are connected with the same type of cable called MIC-to-MIC. MIC stands for Media Interface Connector and MAU stands for Multistation Access Unit.

The MAU here acts pretty much like a hub, so the cross over between transmit and receive pairs is done inside the box. Thus the cord itsef can be assumed as straight-through.

The Token Ring crossover is needed in such rare situations when the whole ring (network) consists of only two devices. Using the crossover the need for MAU box is eliminated. The Token Ring crossover is described better at one of our other pages:

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent