new phone installation FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Taba Elliott posted 29 Mar 2006
 new phone installation
The SBC/ATT installer is going to install the outside box. What do I do from there to get the inside jacks connected/functioning?
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 29 Mar 2006
Dear Taba,
Well you have a few choices.
You can hire someone. If you have a "pennysaver" or similar local advertising type paper, look in there for someone who installs telephone lines/jacks.

If you are handy and can work with electrical tools you can install it yourself. The box that the installer put on the outside is know as an NID (Network Interface device) There are normally two parts for this, the service provider side (SBC/ATT) and the customer side. The customer side will open by loosening the screw and you will see the connection point. Here is a link to a brief page and an illustration.

You would then run a cable to each location where you want a telephone connection and terminate it at a jack.

We also have a book available on-line for residential cabling, here is the link to the book.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...