rj11 to rj45

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by euan sturrock posted 08 Feb 2006
 rj11 to rj45
Hi there,

I have a laptop with a normal rj11 modem connection.
I am about to get a new laptop for myself and give my old one to my wife - nice.............
Unfortunately she requires it for her work, there is no problem at home for internet as she will be getting a pcmm card for wireless stuff.
My question is she needs a lan connection for her office rj45, is there any way to convert the rj11 to accomodate this or will I have to give her the new laptop - hope NOT !

 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 08 Feb 2006
Dear euan,

First if the laptop has USB ports I would look into a USB to Ethernet network adapter. They are relatively inexpensive. I am not endorsing but look at this site to see an example of this product.

Second is to look for a a PCMICA card that is an Ethernet adapter (you mentioned a pcmm card but I am unfamiliar with that, maybe you meant PCMICA). Here is a link to look at that

There are many of these products available on the market. Make sure they are compatible with your older laptop including the required operating system.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...