Conduit FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Joe Royle posted 15 Nov 2000
Im looking to run CAT5 outdoor cable to a new office 30 metres away. It is set to run underground in a trench the Electric Company is about to lay.
Should the CAT5 also have a shield or trunking cable around it? If so what kind?
Also sorry about this one but what is conduit? I keep reading it mentioned on various web sites but am not 100% what it is.
 Answer by Roman Kitaev posted 16 Nov 2000
Hi, Joe!

I wouldn't recommend using copper cable in your case. Use fiber optic cable instead with media converters at the ends.

This way you will avoid possible problems with EMI from the electrical cables.

Use dielectric optical cable and place it into a rigid PVC conduit. By the way, "conduit" is a raceway of circular cross-section, through which cables can be pulled.

For separation from electrical cables, see this link:

Best regards
Roman Kitaev, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent