convert RJ45 to RJ11 FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by phylippa levine posted 08 Dec 2005
 convert RJ45 to RJ11
I am trying to connect a PC to an existing network, however the PC does not have an RJ45 port, only an RJ11 port. Can I convert RJ45 to RJ11, and if so what type of adapter/converter woudl I need to use?
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 10 Dec 2005
Dear phylippa,

These are two completely different signals and will not work and could damage your equipment if attempted. If this is a desktop type PC you will need a network adapter card installed with the proper software. If this is a laptop type PC you will need either a PCMICA or USB network adapter (depending on your current equipment) as well the proper software drivers.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...