separation of network cabling from 5kV conductor FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Agustin Toro posted 02 Nov 2005
 separation of network cabling from 5kV conductor
We are running phone cable (Cat 5) on a tray along with 5kV Teck cable. What is the minimum separation required?
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 03 Nov 2005
Dear Agustin,
I am going to assume that you are in Canada or Europe where this type of cable is widely used.

From what I can gather quickley from some web sites that this is an armoured power cable. Being that it is armoured, the armour is grounded therefore this will fall into a shielded.

I do not have acess to copies of their electrical codes to give you an answer. I suggest that you contact the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) to get the proper information and to perform a safe installation.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...