Home networking

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by allan Charles posted 30 Oct 2005
 Home networking
I have Two PC's at home,and have pci card in Pc1. pc2 has adsl router connected to Broadband(isdn)i also have installed Cat5e(crossover)cable between the two computers.i would like to have pc1 able to access the internet.
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 30 Oct 2005
Dear Allan,

You have two ways to do this.

1. Based upon what you said here PC2 would have to have 2 NIC cards to support the ADSL connection and the connection to PC1. You can enable sharing of the ADSL connection on PC2 to allow PC1 to use the connection. On your PC operating system help screen, search for "Share Internet" for information.

2. The second way is to use a 2nd port on the ADSL router (or use a 4 port hub) to connect PC1 to the connection directly. This cable will be a straight thru cable and not a crossover type.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...