cable FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Anthony Bell posted 28 Oct 2005
I would like to connect an old PC with a dial up modem to my comcast high speed network thru a Linksys Wireless 2.4 GHZ Broadband router (WRT54G) for my Grand kids?
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 29 Oct 2005
Dear Anthony,

It all depends how old that PC is and what Operating System it has.

If it is running Windows 98 or better and has a USB port then a wireless USB unit is the easiest way.

If you have spare card slots (Desktop system)then a wireless NIC card may be the answer.

If it is a laptop that has PCMICA slots then go with that option in a wireless version.

In any case make sure that the wireless hardware can work with your operating system.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...