Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Tony Crowsey posted 07 Oct 2005
I need to create a wire with an rj11 on one end and an rj45 on the other. I have a DSL modem and the input is an rj11. I've prewired my house and have a control box. In the control box there is only rj45's. I have a few rj11's located in the house strictly for phones. I need to know which wires to use on the rj11 (I am wiring the rj45 with the 586B standard).

 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 07 Oct 2005
Dear Tony,

Use the white/blue pair (pair 1) for both ends
Here are the pin numbers:

RJ11 - RJ45
3 - 4
4 - 5

By the way you could use a RJ11 male ended cable into the RJ45 jack in the control box because pair 1 is the center 2 pins on each type of RJ and your RJ11 will center into the RJ45 port.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...