wiring for dsl service

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Tom P posted 14 Sep 2005
 wiring for dsl service
I want to run a dedicated line from the indoors NID to the DSL modem. I will split the service at the NID and filter the house system which is wired in series.

Is there a better wire or grade wire to run than regular bulk phone wire from Home Depot? If so where can I get it and what is the price?

 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 15 Sep 2005
Dear Tom,

The use of JKT wire (4 conductor cable) is not recommended for any residential work today. I do recommend that you use category 5e cable and termination devices. Home Depot also carries this as well as the matching jacks, by Leviton, for a complete installation. The cable is $66/1000' spool for non-plenum and about $189/1000' for plenum rated, if required, per their web site

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...