Outside Plant Cabling

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Ian Sage posted 18 Apr 2005
 Outside Plant Cabling
We were asked to install "Tip Cabling" from a manhole to a Utility Hut. This is for (1)900 pair cable and (1)1200 pair cable. Pleae explain the term.
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 20 Apr 2005
Dear Ian,

Tip cables are typically 100 pair cables comming from a splice with a larger cable. For management purposes I would genneraly recommend separate splice enclosures for each of the 900 and 1200 pair cables but nothing says they cannot be combined into a single larger splice booth. The use of 100 pair cables is allow easier handling and termination of tese cables in the utility hut.

Depending on the manufacturer, there should also be spares in the 900 and 1200 pair cables and are not spliced through except as needed for bad pairs. It is also important to bond the shields from the 900 pair and 12 pair cables to their respective tip cables.

Last in the utility hut, provide electrical protection (lightning, high voltage, etc) as close to the point of entry as possible with properly rated protectors.

Splice boot, splice connectors, and bonding harnesses are available from 3M as well as other manufacturers. The boot must be sized to the splice and fitted with the proper end caps to handle the truck (900 and/or 1200 pair) and tip cables (100 pair). If the splice is made in a wet location, there are also gel filled splice connectors made for these environments.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...