Cable from broadband modem to a PC FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by l m posted 13 Apr 2005
can i make a cable to go from by broadband modem to my pc using 2 pair cable (there are 4 wires) i have the corect ends and was just wondering if its posible and how
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 14 Apr 2005
Dear l,

Yes you could but I question if the cable and ends you have are the correct type.

There are two factors here:
1. Typically the connection from a broadband modem to a PC is a LAN connection and should operate at 100BaseT. For this the cable should be rated as category 5 or higher.
2. The connectors you have should also be rated at category 5 or higher and the internal pins must be made to match the conductor construction of the cable (solid or stranded and also match the AWG).

Provided that all the above is verified the pin-outs for a 100BaseT cable are paired as pins 1 & 2, 3 & 6 and is the equivelent of pairs 2 & 3 in a T568A or T568B wiring scheme. See the pinouts on this site for the exact reccommended color coding at

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...