CATV Balun FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by doug ski posted 12 Apr 2005
I work in an office/network and some people use a small cable tuner box with an rj45 input and that outputs to the television to receive cable television. Where do I find this kind of cable box tuner
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 13 Apr 2005
Dear doug,

I think what you are referring to is CATV balun. There is more to this then just plugging it in, the other end would require a like device (they are normally used in pairs) and connect to the CATV source (cable, etc.). There are limitations (length of cable on the higher channels and signal strength) to these devices. You should be able to purchase these through any high end structured cabling supplier (Anixter, Graybar, etc.) or on ebay at

refer to the item as a "CATV Balun"

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...