RJ45 to RJ11 Adapter

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Brad Glinkerman posted 13 Feb 2005
 RJ45 to RJ11 Adapter
I have a newer computer that uses Ethernet (RJ45). It is currently connected to the Internet. I also have a really old computer with an old regular dial up modem. I cannot find an Ethernet card that will fit this computer. I was wondering if it is possible to run a CAT5 from my new computer and connect it to my older computer that uses an RJ11. Do they make adapters for this? Is it possible to make a cable with an RJ45 jack on on end and an RJ11 jack on the other end. Or is this not possible. Thanks
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 14 Feb 2005
Dear Brad,
While making the cable is possible, linking the two different services is not.

If your computer is that old where you cannot find a card for it, then you should not even be looking to bring it on-line in this day of high speed service and the load it would put on the CPU.

BTW the correct way to connect two computers to a high speed internet connection is with a switch or switch/router

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...