tap, splitter and connections

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Antonio Gomes posted 27 Jan 2005
 tap, splitter and connections

I want to distribute the signal of my CATV among some rooms in my home. What is the best component to be used (less attenuation, I believe): splitters, taps (directional couplers) or simply T connections?


Antonio Gomes
 Answer by Joseph Golan posted 28 Jan 2005
Dear Antonio,
From the point of simplicity, I would use a multipoint tap (8 ports out is typically the most you will find) with all cables home run to a central point and if the signal seems to degrade, then it is easy to add a power booster to the input of the splitter.

Use the highest quality components you can find to insure the least amount of loss and make sure that the components cover the full bandwidth of your provider include future frequencies.

Last do not go cheap on the cable. Most CATV services require a quad-shielded RG-6 cable and never user RG-59. Use a quality connector and purchase a good crimp tool to insure proper terminations.

Joseph Golan, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...