RJ-45 to RJ-11 Converter

Cabling-Design.com FREE cabling and networking Helpdesk
 Question by Jason Pelowski posted 14 Jan 2005
 RJ-45 to RJ-11 Converter
Is there a converter to convert a RJ-45 cable to an RJ-11? If not, what are the pairs that are used on the RJ-45 when hooked up for telephone?
 Answer by Dmitri Abaimov posted 14 Jan 2005
Dear Jason,

If you are talking about plugging an RJ-11 plug into an RJ-45 jack, then the center pins will be used. Pair #1 (pins 4 and 5, blue and white/blue) for line 1 and pair #2 (if T568A) or pair #3 (if T568B) for line 2. It would be easier to just look at the RJ45 pin payout which we have illustrated here: http://www.cabling-design.com/references/pinouts/t568ab.shtml

If you are terminating a 4-pair cable with an RJ-11 jack, then you would have to see what pin layout is used on the other end of the cable (if you use RJ-45 on the other end) and pick pairs accordingly. Blue pair (#1) will definitely be used with both pin layouts.

Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Click here to see the expert's profile
Back to the current page of questions | Back to all the questions
Back to Cabling-Design.com HELPDESK | Ask your question
Residential Cabling Guide

Home Cabling Guide

Finally, an instantly downloadable book that saves you thousands in home improvement dollars! Enjoy living in 21st century technology-advanced home while increasing its selling value and competitive advantage on the real estate market. Whether your cabling is for home office or high-tech leisure, you can wire your home yourself or learn "wirish" to speak with your cabling contractors in their language!

Learn more ...

Please rate this page

Rating: Average rating: Ratings
BadFineGoodVery GoodExcellent